[V24-N2-7] Anti-sexual violence movement against punitive measures: The feminist activism of Korean WomenLink

Author Hana Choi-Kim
Date 2018년 6월

본문

ABSTRACT

In South Korea, punitive measures in response to extreme sex-crimes against children have emerged since the mid-2000s. This punitive turn has been evident across the world; however, some scholars have argued that it is a result of the feminist movement against sexual violence and so has been labeled as “carceral feminism.” In this paper, I undertake a content analysis of documents of feminist organizations who work on issues of sexual violence, combined with data collected through interviews with activists. I seek to show how a feminist organization, Korean WomenLink Sexual Violence Relief Center (K-WomenLink), has actually created strategies and activities in opposition to this punitive turn in the public discourse and penal approach. Thereby, I argue that the Korean feminist movement against sexual violence in fact offers a counter-example to the discourse of carceral feminism with respect to their activities and the dynamics surrounding the movement.

ABSTRACT IN KOREAN

한국에서는 2000 년대 중반부터 아동 대상 성범죄 사건을 둘러싸고 엄벌주의 경향이 등장하였다. 세계 각국에서 나타나는 이 엄벌주의 경향에 대하여 일부 학자들은 그것이 여성주의 반성폭력 운동에 의한 것이라 주장하며 이를 ‘교도소 페미니즘/감금 중심의 여성주의 (carceral feminism)’이라 칭해왔다. 본 논문은 반성폭력 운동단체의 자료와 활동가들과의 인터뷰 내용을 질적으로 분석하여 한국의 여성주의 반성폭력 운동이 엄벌주의에 반대하는 전략과 활동을 구축해왔음을 보여주고, 한국의 여성주의 반성폭력 운동이 ‘교도소 페미니즘’ 논의를 반증하는 사례임을 주장한다.

KEYWORDS: Korean feminist movementanti-sexual violence movementfeminist activismpunitive measurescarceral feminism

KEYWORDS: 한국 여성운동반성폭력 운동여성주의 (비)법제화 활동반(反)엄벌주의 여성단체교도소 페미니즘의 반례